Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Are We Ready for a Move?

Last night I attended a Night of Worship hosted by the young adult group at my church. They did an excellent job! To be honest, they sang songs that I really love but I wouldn’t have expected them to sing. I want to share with you the lyrics from the choruses of a couple of songs they sang, and the message, including scripture God stirred in me about each one.

Our society is full of chaos, uncertainty, fear, not sure who to trust, the list goes on. People are simply broken. They need something different than what's being offered. Last night one of the songs we sang was “This is a Move” by Tasha Cobbs Leonard. Here’s the chorus:

We are here for You, come and do what You do/We are here for You, come and do what You do/We set our hearts on You, come and do what You do/ 'Cause we need a move/We need a move.”

 Some questions…How much do we really want a move of God? How ready are we to lay aside our agenda? Or lay aside what worked “back in the day?” When the people of Israel were in the desert God gave them fresh manna every day.

 We need a fresh move of God! I believe it began earlier this year at some of the college campuses where revival broke out. As happy as I am for those colleges, I don't want to settle for it happening just for them. I want it to happen here in my town, in my church. I desire to be right in the middle of it watching God move. Ok, the next chorus…

 There's no shadow You won't light up/Mountain You won't climb up/Coming after me/Lie You won't tear down/Coming after me.” (Reckless Love by Corey Asbury)

 The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” (Zeph. 3:17 NKJ)

 When God is ready to move. We might be resistant, whether it be out of rebellion, fear or past woundedness. But He will come after us. He loves us too much to allow us to remain as we are. As mush as he wanted to Jonah could not run from the call of God. Neither can we.

 Maybe some of us aren't ready because we are simply broken and wounded, not sure how to heal. Here’s a few lyrics from “Defender” by Rita Springer.

 “When I thought I lost me/You knew where I left me/You reintroduced me to Your love/You picked up all my pieces/Put me back together/You are the defender of my heart.”

 “Hallelujah, You have saved me/So much better this way/Hallelujah, great Defender/So much better Your way/Hallelujah, You have saved me/So much better this way”

“All I did was praise/All I did was worship/All I did was bow down/All I did was stay still”

 Allow God to heal you as you worship before Him allowing Him to do as He pleases with your life.

But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; For You have been my defense And refuge in the day of my trouble. (Psalm 59:16 NKJ)

 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.” (1 Peter 5:10 NKJ) This is one of my favorite scriptures to teach from. I have a full teaching on it breaking down significant key words in the original language.

 Lastly, as I mentioned at the beginning of this article, people are desperate for change. They're wondering how they can truly be free from the bondage(s) in their lives. They’re turning to ungodly sources looking for help such as new age philosophy, hanging charms in their cars, reading tarot cards, and many other things hoping to find hope and freedom.

 Church, we have the answer! As born-again believers we have the Holy Spirit of God living in us. He wants to do some amazing things in and through us to bring hope to our community. I close with the chorus lyrics from one more song that the group did not sing last night but it's one of my favorites.

 “Go tell the world about me/I was dead but now I live/I've gotta go now for a little while/But goodbye is not the end.” (The Commission” by Cain)

 As I sit here, I think there will be a Part two to this article to share more about how it's time to embrace more than God's omnipresence - which means He is present everywhere. Let's prepare to experience more of His “manifest presence.” Recently I wrote about the “shift” that is coming. I'm not talking about goofy and weird but a genuine move of God where people's lives are being transformed. Yes, the miraculous is part of ministry, but the primary focus is the hope, the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is what sets people free.

 Until then, let's go tell the world. Better yet let's start right here in our community.

 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:19,20)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving Forward in Life

This article was originally written in 2017. For the past few days, I've been thinking it needs to be shared again. Whoever needs this n...